Monday, July 27, 2009

Praying Mantis Catches Hummingbird!



These shocking pictures were got by Richard L. Walkup from West Chester, PA. Listen to what he has to say!

The other day while I was working in the yard my son urgently called to me. "Dad, a praying mantis caught a hummingbird!"

Not sure what to expect, but knowing my son is not one to make things up, I came running to see for myself. By the time I arrived it was too late for the poor hummer and my scientifically minded son had already begun taking pictures and studying the scene.

As you can see from the photographs this hungry mantis captured and killed a hummingbird not much smaller than itself. The mantis used its spiny left foreleg to impale the hummingbird through the chest while leaving his right leg free.

We surmised that the mantis ran the hummer through and dangled its full weight on its foreleg while he consumed the flesh of the hummingbird from the abdomen. After he had his fill, the mantis gave his foreleg several swift jerks and freed his leg.

This was an unfortunate experience for the hummer, but we are amazed to realize how fast, precise, and powerful the mantis must be to accomplish such a feat!

Add To Google BookmarksStumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To RedditTwit ThisAdd To FacebookAdd To Yahoo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey Guys! Thanks for visiting my blog. Hope you enjoy reading. Just leave your comments if you think this post is a worth readable! Your valuable comments are always welcomed. Please don't spam! and No abusive language would be tolerated. I would moderate your feedback and then it would be published. If you have any query I will try to give feedback as soon as possible.